[Dxspider-support] Setting up DXspider

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Mon Jan 10 16:45:13 GMT 2005

OK, let's try and sort this out.

Stop the node and do a netstat -tap (as root).

You need to find out what is running on localhost:27754. This port is
the internal client->server comms port. It is not for 'user' access.
Programs such as /spider/perl/console.pl and /spider/src/client use that
port to *PROVIDE* user access.

Therefore using it as a client access port will not work.

In the general case, your /spider/local/Listeners.pm should contain
something like:

package main;

use vars qw(@listen);

@listen = (
           ["0.0.0.0", 7300],
);

The "0.0.0.0" means "listen to all interfaces" on port 7300 (in this
case). The only thing I would change is the port number (and then only
for compatibility with an old system - if possible use 7300).

If you understand the consequences you can do:-

@listen = (
	["1.2.3.4", 7300],       # 1.2.3.4 is the IP address of eth0
	["127.0.0.1", 7300],
);

But that sort of thing is only of use if you want to limit the listener
to particular interfaces out of a larger selection. Most people would
want to use the first example.

On a linux box, if you get messages like:-

IO::Socket::INET: Address already in use
Could not create socket: Address already in use
        Msg::new_server('IntMsg','localhost',8000,'CODE(0x8ab28cc)')
called at ./cluster.pl line 433Could not create socket: Address already
in use

then: netstat -tap
run as 'root' is your friend, as this will tell you which process is
listening to what interface and port.

Please put DXVars.pm back the way it was ($clusterport = 27754) and set
Listeners.pm to use port ["0.0.0.0", 7300] and report back.

Dirk G1TLH