[Dxspider-support] Setting up DXspider

Ted Gervais ve1drg at av.eastlink.ca
Mon Jan 10 17:18:50 GMT 2005

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005, Dirk Koopman wrote:

> OK, let's try and sort this out.
>
> Stop the node and do a netstat -tap (as root).

OK. First here is 'netstat -tcp' with the cluster running:

root at linux:/spider# netstat -tap
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State
PID/Program name
tcp        0      0 *:swat                  *:*                     LISTEN
428/inetd
tcp        0      0 localhost:27754         *:*                     LISTEN
16161/perl
tcp        0      0 *:node                  *:*                     LISTEN
428/inetd
tcp        0      0 *:auth                  *:*                     LISTEN
428/inetd
tcp        0      0 *:ftp                   *:*                     LISTEN
428/inetd
tcp        0      0 *:ssh                   *:*                     LISTEN
431/sshd
tcp        0      0 *:ttylink               *:*                     LISTEN
428/inetd
tcp        0      0 *:telnet                *:*                     LISTEN
428/inetd
tcp        0      0 *:ted                   *:*                     LISTEN
428/inetd
tcp        0      0 *:smtp                  *:*                     LISTEN
1152/master
root at linux:/spider#

And here is netstat -tap being run with the cluster down:

root at linux:/etc# netstat -tap
[...]
root at linux:/etc#

> You need to find out what is running on localhost:27754. This port is
> the internal client->server comms port. It is not for 'user' access.
> Programs such as /spider/perl/console.pl and /spider/src/client use that
> port to *PROVIDE* user access.

I didn't know that. I have etc/services file set up with port 27754 in
there for users to connect to?  I had once had it in /etc/inetd.conf file
too. But moved to using the Listeners.pm file in ../local directory.

> Therefore using it as a client access port will not work.

Alright.  Makes sense so far.

> In the general case, your /spider/local/Listeners.pm should contain
> something like:
>
> package main;
>
> use vars qw(@listen);
>
> @listen = (
>            ["0.0.0.0", 7300],
> );

OK.  I have mine set up just like you indicated above. Using 7300 rather
than 27754.

> The "0.0.0.0" means "listen to all interfaces" on port 7300 (in this
> case). The only thing I would change is the port number (and then only
> for compatibility with an old system - if possible use 7300).
>
> If you understand the consequences you can do:-
>
> @listen = (
> 	["1.2.3.4", 7300],       # 1.2.3.4 is the IP address of eth0
> 	["127.0.0.1", 7300],
> );
>
> But that sort of thing is only of use if you want to limit the listener
> to particular interfaces out of a larger selection. Most people would
> want to use the first example.
>
> On a linux box, if you get messages like:-
>
> IO::Socket::INET: Address already in use
> Could not create socket: Address already in use
>         Msg::new_server('IntMsg','localhost',8000,'CODE(0x8ab28cc)')
> called at ./cluster.pl line 433Could not create socket: Address already
> in use
>
> then: netstat -tap
> run as 'root' is your friend, as this will tell you which process is
> listening to what interface and port.

Great.  That is good to know. I have that stored in my TIPS box now for
future use..

> Please put DXVars.pm back the way it was ($clusterport = 27754) and set
> Listeners.pm to use port ["0.0.0.0", 7300] and report back.

I have everything in place as you indicated above. ../local/DXVars.pm is
using 27754 and I have no entries in /etc/inetd.conf for the DXSpider
port, but have one in the /etc/services file with " Spider  7300" on the
last line ?  That is where I had had 27754 before. Changed it to 7300.
I shutdown DXSpider and brought it up again with these new changes. Also
did a telinit to restart the etc/inittab file. And ran killall -HUP inet
to reset/reinitialize things.

Here is 'netstat -tap' run after all this was done:

root at linux:/etc# netstat -tap
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State
PID/Program name
tcp        0      0 *:swat                  *:*                     LISTEN
428/inetd
tcp        0      0 localhost:27754         *:*                     LISTEN
16218/perl
tcp        0      0 *:node                  *:*                     LISTEN
428/inetd
tcp        0      0 *:auth                  *:*                     LISTEN
428/inetd
tcp        0      0 *:ftp                   *:*                     LISTEN
428/inetd
tcp        0      0 *:ssh                   *:*                     LISTEN
431/sshd
tcp        0      0 *:ttylink               *:*                     LISTEN
428/inetd
tcp        0      0 *:telnet                *:*                     LISTEN
428/inetd
tcp        0      0 *:ted                   *:*                     LISTEN
428/inetd
tcp        0      0 *:smtp                  *:*                     LISTEN
1152/master
root at linux:/etc#

Localhost is using 27754.

I now tried telnetting to localhost 7300, and get the following:

sysop at linux:~/spider/src$ telnet localhost 7300
Trying 127.0.0.1...
telnet: connect to address 127.0.0.1: Connection refused
sysop at linux:~/spider/src$

Is port 7300 supposed to receive telnet connections now?
I need some help here.

And I hope everything is better at this point.

Dirk... thanks for your assistance. It is appreciated..