[Dxspider-support] install problems

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Mon Jan 31 23:49:23 GMT 2005

On Sun, 2005-01-30 at 04:38 +0000, Tom Vavra wrote:
> A bit of background.  I changed from AK1A to DXSpider about 7 weeks ago.
> The platform is running RH 9.0 and has been crashing after 1-8 days.  AX25
> interrupts are the supposed problem.  Responses to questions have led me to
> try to install Mandrake 10.1 on another computer.
>
> I keep finding modules missing from the mandrake system that are on the rh
> system.  The first was soundmodem.h which was needed by ax25-tools.  I ended
> up stealing it from the rh system and putting it in /usr/import/linux.
> ax25-tools at least compiled.  Now while trying to install Curses and
> Time-HiRes, they both stopped when make could not find
> /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.5/i386-linux-thread-mult/CORE/EXTERN.h
> That particular directory has about 30 files on the RH system but just 3 on
> the mdk system.  Am I missing some package (maybe a perl package?)?  Any
> insight would be apprecialted.

This sound to me like a recipe for disaster.

On Mandrake the program 'urpmi' is your friend. It is a pretty good
facsimile of the debian 'apt' program.

urpmi perl-DB_File perl-Curses perl-Time-Date

should do what is required for my stuff.

urpmi ax25-apps libax25_0 libax25_0-devel

(guessing) will add (some?) of the ax25 stuff.

To look for something in the urpmi system do: urpmi -y <string>

so I did: urpmi -y ax25
to get the list of ax25 packages. I believe that the necessary modules
are already compiled into kernel.

To see all the available modules do:-

urpmi -y perl | less.

Interfering with the system perl (and, for instance, replacing it with a
freshly compiled one) is probably not going help. Perl is used
*extensively*  for all of the Mandrake system admin stuff.