[Dxspider-support] SHOW/DX ignoring old spots

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Fri May 6 01:12:02 BST 2005

Ooo err...

That's an interesting idea. Have you done any benchmarks to see what the
difference is?

Firstly, just to confirm:-

set/var $Spot::maxdays = 1000

does what you say you want.

However, I really would not recommend it unless you have a much faster
machine that I have (which isn't too difficult, but it likely only to be
twice as fast).

There has to be a limit because the spot files are searched
sequentially, backwards in time, and in perl (actually this is a slight
over-simplification but is a good working explanation).

This is reasonably quick but still noticable. As the software is single
threaded, if it is searching for DX Spots, it isn't servicing incoming
data (TCP connections). The reason a limit was put on it was to limit
the length of time an (unsuccessful) DX Spot search could take. This is
also why there is a finite limit on the maximum of spots you can ask for
as well (set/var $Spot::maxspots = 100).

If there are less than the no of spots that you ask for (and this is <=
$maxspots) then that will cause $maxdays no of spot files to be
searched. Unfortunately, the more common the thing is that you are
looking for, the quicker the search returns.

There is a similar "problem" with searching log files.

The point of using the:-

  day <number>    - starting <number> days ago
      <from>/<to>

constructions is that if it wasn't seen in the last 100 days, then you
would have to use one of the above to go further back.

Personally, I don't think this is a big deal. The only people that are
actually, seriously, interested in spot data that old are not normally
bothered by using the above arrangement. In some cases it actually helps
to narrow down (for) when they are looking. A bit of user education
seems appropriate here.

My *strong* recommendation is that you do not increase these defaults by
much (no more than double). The default values were chosen with some
care and with a particular tradeoff in mind.

Afterall we don't want to suffer the performance problems that some
other software (apparently) has with sh/dx, now do we?

Dirk G1TLH