[Dxspider-support] CLX - Spider connect

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Thu Sep 1 13:01:42 BST 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-01 at 07:35 -0400, Michael Walker wrote:
> That is pretty much what I have.  Do I need to worry about case?
>
> On another note, the spider node was receiving spots just fine, and then it
> stopped.  I can see the spots arriving on the console view, but they are not
> on the Spider cluster. I haven't even started to play with filters yet.
>
> Here is the init log (va3mw-7 is clx, va3mw-6 is DX Spider).  At the bottom,
> can you tell me if the PC51 is outbound from Spider or inbound from CLX?
>
> DXChannel VA3MW-7 created (3)
> <- O VA3MW-7 telnet
> -> B VA3MW-7 0
> -> E VA3MW-7 0
> VA3MW-7 channel func  state 0 -> init
> <- I VA3MW-7 Hello va3mw-6, you were validated - now connecting to clx.
> <- I VA3MW-7 *** connected to clx
> <- I VA3MW-7 PC18^ ^5447^
> VA3MW-7 channel func  state init -> init
> -> D VA3MW-7 PC19^1^VA3MW-6^0^5451^H24^
> -> D VA3MW-7 PC16^VA3MW-6^VA3MW - 1^H24^
> -> D VA3MW-7 PC20^
> <- I VA3MW-7 Login at 1113Z: va3mw-6
> <- I VA3MW-7 PC19^0^VA3MW^0^5447^H10^

This is the clue. Although quite why clx is sending that spurious Login
line I don't know. It has obviously connected to the cluster engine
because you have received the PC18.

> <- I VA3MW-7 PC22^
> VA3MW-7 channel func  state init -> normal
> -> D VA3MW-7 PC51^VA3MW-7^VA3MW-6^1^

You must be whom you say you are and SSID's matter. So if clx is VA3MW
(which is is what the PC19 says it thinks it is) then that has to be the
call that you set/clx and also CONNect to. A dim memory seems to be
saying that clx doesn't handle SSIDs for nodes, but that may be wrong.

I cannot over emphasise the fact that, in order to maintain connections,
the callsigns used in protocol must match the callsigns that both you
think you are and also are connected to.

The problem is that not sending out a PC19 with the correct callsign
cannot be detected as an error because it isn't (completely) one. What
you are running (should you switch the keep-alive pinging off) is,
effectively, "restricted" protocol.

Hope this helps

Dirk Koopman <djk at tobit.co.uk>