[Dxspider-support] Add IP address tp PC16

Brendan Minish ei6iz.brendan at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 13:46:15 GMT 2009

On Wed, 2009-11-25 at 12:28 +0000, Dirk Koopman G1TLH wrote:

> We don't use PC16/17 anymore (at least for mainstream DXSpider/CCCluster
> nodes). PC92 could be extended compatibly, eg:
>
> PC92^HB9DRV-9^44775.01^A^^1IZ8QKQ:192.168.0.1^H96^

Dirk, Lee

I think it's a good idea to share IP information but please design the
protocol additions in such a way that they will not have a problem with
IPv6 addresses

An interesting thing about IPv6 addresses is that on auto-configured
networks (& most will be ) the last part of the address corresponds to
the Ethernet card MAC address on the originating machine which will
certainly help narrow down the source of abuse

As the network manager at an ISP I am acutely aware of how soon IPv4
address space will run out. After that it will be IPv6 and NAT for IPv4
for normal domestic users. Carrier grade NAT will make tracking users by
IPv4 address very difficult to do.

--
73
Brendan EI6IZ