[Dxspider-support] Recent posts

Brendan Minish ei6iz.brendan at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 22:13:43 GMT 2009

On Tue, 2009-11-17 at 12:20 -0800, Lee Sawkins wrote:
>  I also would like to see spotters IP addresses sent with
> their spots.  That way it would be easy to detect abuse of the type we
> have seen in the past few days.  Many different bogus originating calls,
> but all from a couple of IP addresses.  Automatic detection of the same
> IPs for different users could be used to drop their spots.  Limiting dx
> spots to a couple per minute per IP would also help.

It would be useful to see IP's, however it should be propagated over the
network in such a way that is not going to increase protocol overhead
too much and is compatible with both ipv4 and ipv6 address space.
Perhaps it's time to consider a compressed intra-node protocol, the CPU
overhead would be minimal.

I think it's a very bad idea however to implement anything automatic
that is IP based to drop spots etc. It is not uncommon for multiple
users to be connecting from behind a NAT, they will all show up as
having the same public IP.
One of our 3G mobile operators already does this for users not using the
public.internet APN

Other providers issue a new IP address upon each connection, this is
fairly common.

IPv4 address space is nearing exhaustion and in the next 18 months or so
you will see ISP's doing things like large scale NAT for domestic
customers for continued access to the public IPv4 address space.
 IPv6 is coming and Dxspider supports IPv6 but real world IPv6
deployments to ISP customers and IPv6 capable Hosting companies are
still few and far between.

My own spider node (EI7MRE) is available via IPv6  at 2a01:348:6:26b::2
port 7300 and I would be interested in peering with other IPv6 nodes

--
73
Brendan EI6IZ