[Dxspider-support] Repeating Announcements - Can anything be done?

Lee Sawkins ve7cc at shaw.ca
Mon Oct 25 09:46:01 BST 2010

Hi Dirk

How about this:

a) Ignore incoming PC12 messages where the originating node is PC9x.  There
are about 270 of these nodes.
b) Ignore incoming PC12 with a hops count of less than say H85

This assumes all PC9x nodes can receive PC93 announcements from at least one
link.  I think this is true, and if not, could be fixed.  It also assumes
that all nodes are no more than 15 hops from each other.  I think this is
true.  I put in some code to check this.  I have run my VE7CC-1 cluster for
24 hours and the lowest PC9x hop was H87.  For a long time it was H90, but
then I think some messages took a longer route due to slow links.  So no
PC9x node is more than probably 10 hops from me.  I have a couple of AR
Cluster nodes directly connected to me so any AR Cluster can not be very
many hops away.  So 15 hops should be more than enough for any route.

Using this scheme, all of the duplicate shown by 4Z5LZ would have been
dropped because N5IN-2 is a PC9x node.  Even if N5IN-2 was not a PC9x node,
most of the others would have been removed since they have hop values less
than 85.  Not the first few, but the remaining ones.
http://www.cqplanet.com/spam_announcements_4z5lz-2.txt

FWIW I believe most if not all of these delayed announcements are not caused
by DXSpider or by CC Cluster software.

Lee