[Dxspider-support] fraud detection

Philip Gladstone philip at gladstonefamily.net
Mon Dec 12 00:57:39 GMT 2011

The same public IP will not exist in more than one location. However,
there can be *lots* of subscribers behind a single IP address
(especially in mobile networks). The big carriers use boxes called
Carrier Grade NATs to do the translation. Technically they are not NAT
boxes but PAT boxes -- i.e. they can map more than one subscriber onto a
single address at the same time. This is the same type of system that
most people have at home to allow multiple people to connect to the
internet from a single house.

IPv6 will help this situation as it gets rolled out -- then each
subscriber will get 2^64 addresses (or more) for use inside the house.

Philip

p.s. I am a networking geek.

--
Philip Gladstone