[Dxspider-support] DXspider: how to connect to other clusters?

Georgi Tango maplemann411 at googlemail.com
Fri Nov 14 12:44:43 GMT 2014

Hello to all,

I have setup dxspider v.1.55 on my redhat linux and it seems to work fine.
However I am slightly confused about how to use it. Maybe someone can help
me. Here is what I've got so far.

I start the ./cluster.pl, no errors. ("queue msg(0)")

Now I should have my dxcluster running, but no users obviously, because
nobody knows about it. To receive DX spots I've created a script in
/spider/connect/ to connect for example to ea4rch-5:

timeout 60
connect telnet dxfun.com 8000
'login:' <my callsign>
'password:'
client earch-5 telnet

In a new window I can run ./console.pl and type
connect ea4rch-5

Now I see DX spots in the cluster.pl window. After 60s I get the connection
timeout message. To circumvent this I've setup a crontab in
/spider/local_cmd

* * * * * start_connect('ea4rch-5') unless connected('ea4rch-5')

So the connection is established every 60 seconds.

Here are my questions:

1.) Why are the DX spots from ea4rch-5 only visible in the cluster.pl
window. and not for example if I execute:

/spider/src/client <mycallsign>

2.) how can I "forward" all DX spots to all the users of my DXcluster

3.) This crontab seems to be an inefficient way to connect to another
cluster, is there a more sophisticated way?

I think I am getting something wrong, I would greatly appreciate it if
somebody could shed some light on this.

Many thanks in advance,
Peter