[Dxspider-support] Number of characters for the Comment field

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Thu Jan 8 13:03:53 GMT 2015

Fabio

I think you mean that when a spot appears on your screen, it only shows
(the first) 30 characters. In fact there is no theoretical limit on the
length of the comment field when actually sending that spot, as in:

dx g1tlh 14.150 this is a long comment of more than 30 characters just
to make a point

Only the first 30 characters will be displayed. There is a problem with
changing the format of the spots, for example:

DX de RK3AWX:    28451.0  R3AA         CQ CQ CQ DX CQ DX             1246Z

Basically this format is fixed in stone because other software tries to
parse (decode) each spot and absolutely relies on each field starting at
the same position on the screen. Node software that uses this method
(called a "passive" connection) does this to handle the fact that the
original inter-node protocol could not cope with loops.

Also, despite all the problems this causes, many user client programs
*also* rely on decoding the spot in this very machine unfriendly format.
There is an alternative, just for spots, that was invented by Lee for
his CC Cluster suite of programs that I implement and some client
software now uses. This format allows the full comment (and other
information) to be seen.

I am working on a completely different way of connecting for both user
programs and node software, which I shall be publishing the
specification of in the next few months.

But the truth is that the telnet interface won't change. It is a useful
"ultimate backup", that means that is possible to use a node on any
networked computer, just by using what comes with the operating system.

Dirk G1TLH