[Dxspider-support] Cloud hosting

Michael Carper, Ph.D. mike at wa9pie.net
Sat Aug 6 02:15:43 BST 2016

To answer Kelly's question...

I'm hosting my cluster node in the cloud for the following reasons:

   - At peak, I have several hundred users connected at once.
   - At peak, I have a couple dozen peer nodes connected from all over the
   world.
   - Because of this... the level of availability I (should) get exceeds
   what I could achieve if I had my node running on a computer in my ham shack.
   - I'll probably end up putting my personal (HRD) log on this new server
   running either MongoDB or MariaDB... because I travel heavily, I want to be
   able to log against a central log no matter where I am.
   - With Google Cloud, I can take snapshots of the entire server instance
   and use it backup... or testing... or whatever.  If I screw myself up, I
   can start again.

Now I'm about to say something that may come across as somewhat
controversial...

I see quite a few hams who have turned up a cluster node for the fun of
it.  That's fine.  That said... there are a few nodes in North America (and
just a few more in the world) that generate about 80% of all the spots
generated.  When you connect to one of those nodes... you're basically
"right on top" of the systems that are originating the spots.  Conversely,
you could build a small cluster node and connect it to one of those large
cluster nodes and it'll work just fine... but it adds an extra hop to the
propagation of spots to you and (it seems to me) brings some level of delay
in getting spots to those who are connected to second tier cluster nodes.

Back the the original point...

For those who are operating the cluster nodes where 80% of the world's
spots originate... it's a good thing to get those servers in a data center.

...just my 2 cents.

Mike, WA9PIE