[Dxspider-support] Controlling upstream spots

djk djk at tobit.co.uk
Fri Jan 8 20:55:43 GMT 2016

On 08/01/16 20:21, Martin Davies G0HDB wrote:
> Hello Dirk (and Allen), I tinkered with node_default spot filters a little while ago and ended up
> with a spot input filter on GB7DXC-5 that looked like:
>
> rej/spot node_default input on hf and not by_zone 14,15
>
> This prevented all spots not originated in zones 14 or 15 from getting into the node and then
> being sent to its connected users, which was what I wanted at the time.
>
> Would it be possible for Allen to subsitute 'output' for 'input' so that he ended up with a reject
> filter that would look like:
>
> rej/spot node_default output <filter-spec>
>
> Is 'output' a valid qualifier for node_default in the same way as 'input' is?

No. But 'output' is the normal case. Arguably I should allow 'output'
and ignore it (it's possible that I already ignore it, I'm just too lazy
to look right now).

If a filter isn't explicitly marked as 'input', it's 'output'.

 From time to time people ask "why?". I have made an attempt at
explaining in the various overviews of filtering either in the help
system or in the filtering manual, but in essence this is the rationale:

If one is connected as a user, then stuff like spots, announces etc are
being sent _to_  the user _from_ the node. From the node's point of
view, they are being _output _from the node to the user. Hence the
default case. The same view applies to spots being sent or distributed
to connected nodes. So if there is a 'node_default' filter then it
filters spots (for example) coming in from other nodes when they are
distributed onward (i.e. 'output') to all the other nodes.

Conversely, an 'input' 'node_default' filter stops unwanted spots (again
for example) coming into the node in the first place. But, particularly
if the filter is restrictive, then that can be rather inefficient. At
this point one can remember that, to the sending node, it is 'output'ing
spots to you, so one can stop that node sending you stuff you don't want
by sending that node an 'rcmd rej/spot on hf and not by_zone 14,15' - in
other words - behaving just like a normal user filter.

Normally one does both because these filters being  sent by rcmd are (by
definition) node specific and, over time, other nodes may connect and
the input filter will act as a backstop.

Dirk G1TLH