[Dxspider-support] Updating DXSpider using 'git pull'

Martin Davies G0HDB marting0hdb at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 19:32:24 GMT 2017

On 9 Jan 2017 at 13:04, Dirk Koopman wrote:

> Martin
>
> I am slightly surprised by what happened using the standard git update
> procedure.
>
> The 'git reset --hard' should have removed (erm... "blown away") any
> changes that you might have made to, for instance, cty.dat etc...
>
> This certainly happens when I am using it.
>
> The message that you describe suggests that you might have done the 'git
> reset' without the '--hard'.

Hi Dirk, thanks for the reply.

I'm (almost!) certain that I appended the '--hard' bit to the 'git reset' command, which I
repeated a couple of times, but unfortunately I can't see the history of the SSH session
because the system has been rebooted.  It's possible that I inadvertently inserted a space
between the double-hyphens and 'hard' - would that make a difference?

> Please repeat your update, making sure that the '--hard' is added and
> please report any problems. It is safe to do. You should also find that
> the latest cty.dat is included, so you won't have to update it manually
> this time.

I've just done 'git reset --hard' followed by 'git pull' again and everything worked as expected -
the 'git pull' generated an 'Already up to date' response - so whatever caused the errors
yesterday has gone away.  I'll wait until there's another update of cty.dat and then try again,
to see if the responses I saw yesterday occur again.

> On the subject of 1.57. This is an "experimental" version that is, in
> fact, part of the git version that you pull. It can only be used with
> the correct git incantation. But it is a fiddle to install correctly and
> doesn't really give you anything you want - unless you have significant
> numbers (probably more than 50, certainly more than 100) of users and
> are running out of CPU resources servicing them. But there does seem to
> be a problem, which may be perl version related, about doing a clean
> install of the 'mojo' branch (as 1.57 is known), although I am working
> on both aspects of this. Also, once done, it isn't easily changed back
> to 1.55 - this will change too in due course.
>
> The spur for the new 'mojo' branch was, in fact, the dumping of DXSpider
> for something purpose written by the RBN Project, where DXSpider could
> not keep up with the volume of spots being sent to the then 100's of
> users. Since then the RBN spot feed has become more distributed and that
> problem seems to have largely subsided anyway. But I am interested,
> generally, in the possibilities of the software becoming better able to
> handle more traffic and also presenting it in different forms. None this
> will affect the "normal" node and - unless you are _*really*_ interested
> in sort of thing - you should avoid 1.57 for the time being. But I am
> hoping that, sometime this year (assuming we all still exist) I will be
> presenting DXSpider 2, probably manifesting as 1.58.

Thanks for all the background info about v1.57 - it sounds like I definitely don't need it
because GB7DXC-5 only very rarely exceeds 8 or 10 users so I'm more than happy to avoid
any potential complications that might arise if I tried to run v1.57!

Re: the DXSpider s/ware being able to handle more traffic, I took note of your previous
posting about the value or otherwise of all the PC92 messages flitting around the Cluster; I've
prepared a partial response with some comments and thoughts so will aim to complete the
draft and get my response back to you shortly.

--
73, Martin G0HDB

---