[Dxspider-support] [sysops] Temp Files..

Howard Leadmon howard at leadmon.net
Tue Oct 8 06:09:29 CEST 2019

   Hey Joe, I have to say, nothing against CentOS at all here, I just
loaded up a server with a boatload of RAM and a couple dozen cores to
run CentOS 8, as I needed a server to run some VM's, so I am a fan as
well.   I like FreeBSD, I like Ubuntu/Debian as well, so pretty much if
it's Unix based I'm a fan, and have probably used it at some point in
time.  I also do a lot with VoIP as well, and have designed some very
large PBX's for a few companies over the years.

  As to my node being very stable, thanks, and it was very much designed
from day 1 to be a stable hub for people to connect with, and it's nice
to hear that it's been serving that purpose well.   I run a good sized
network with bunches of 10GigE fiber links, for lots of redundancy, as
well as peering relationships with a lot of the large players like
Msoft, Google, Apple and so on.  I figured that since I had the
resources available, I would put in a decent server with redundancy, and
place it in the DX network, which is what WB3FFV-2 is at this time.   I
also really wanted to try and promote IPv6 adoption, and with the help
of Dirk and others a few years back, made sure that we fully supported
and tried to connect with any other IPv6 nodes.   I know a few ran
tunnel-broker links to get on IPv6, but I have made sure for many years
that we are true dual-stack IPv4/IPv6 compliant, and it's really worked
out well, so I am a fan of migration to IPv6.  As it is a sizable server
(not a RasPi), for sure anyone that desires a link has never been turned
down thus far, and hopefully soon I will take it down for a few hours to
move to Dirk's new MoJo code, as it seems like it should be well suited
to this environment.

  The node is actually on a standalone server (not a VM, granted I am
sure it could be), and at the time it was built, I just felt that
FreeBSD was probably the best, and most stable environment.   As things
are currently, if I rebuilt the server for DXspider again, I probably
would go with either CentOS or Ubuntu, as I have just gotten very used
to their layouts.  I think my biggest attraction to FBSD was ZFS, and
hey with any luck it seems Ubuntu will probably support it in the
installer with the next LTS release.

  I guess enough computer/network geekdom for now, but thanks for hoping
on and the kudos gave me a smile..

73's de WB3FFV

---
Howard Leadmon - howard at leadmon.net