[Dxspider-support] DXspider and WinSock

Testing 123 iulianp at msn.com
Sat Jun 27 20:52:28 CEST 2020

Hi Dirk and group,
Thanks for coming back to me. I am glad I have touched a sensitive subject!
He he. Only joking. The true fact is the 60 user quote was only introduced
there by pure chance. It was all abt the proxy and monitoring. I was only
interested in the fancy colourful winsock/monitor programs in order to
properly monitor  (including IPs etc) my Windows dxs installation. I would
stare at those colours all day long!
(http://www.bcdxc.org/ve7cc/special/monitor.htm )
***  Tnx Lee for clarifying the matter. This *** is an insert. Your message
came through as I was prepared to post this one. However, any chance you
could share that v1.99? Do you think  it’ll crash a current version of
dxs? To the uninitiated eye it’s only a couple of telnet connections! They
can't hurt much!***
I am assuming there are some logs there somewhere in the spider folder, but
I haven’t reached that stage yet. One at a time... Some filtering to what
is logged will most probably have to be done.
The monitoring idea intensified rather rapidly (pleonasm?)  after my first
dxs install as I was already spotting silly ann, R4_ES ALL and the like
(you can use your imagination to fill up the gap). Now, R4_ES is apparently
a valid callsign, (intentionally?) poorly chosen... by its owner, I would
say, but I don’t think it was that particular ham who posted the ann
anyway.
I have successfully managed to install and update to build 0.215 on Windows
x64, Strawberry Perl, GIT SCM. Couple of quirks which I have already
mentioned to Dirk in my introduction email when signing up to the listing
few days ago. I believe another sysop mentioned similar GIT/Perl problems
sometime this week on a different thread on this listing. I have solved
mine using intuition more than knowledge, giving modules whatever they
asked for; they would normally expect certain files/entire folders to be in
a dif location than the one at runtime. Possibly path issues? I have just
copied those or moved them   according to the error message. Error messages
are rather cryptic for an uninitiated. I must have spent half a day sorting
out all those problems, searching through sterile obscure programmers’
online chats on perl modules issues and the like, trying to understand what
they actually chat about!  I am pretty sure there are more elegant
solutions at hand to the ones with knowledge, for the aforementioned
errors. I am all new to Perl, git and the sort. Good you have mentioned
mojo, Dirk. To be honest I am a bit scared to take the leap! I am in
convalescence now, but once I get better I’ll let everyone know the mojo
update results on Windows. That is if anyone else hasn’t already done so
(the mojo update).  I wouldn’t worry too much abt a certain user limit on
a new node Windows installation, even if there was still a limit. I have
been running the dxs  here in SE UK for abt 2 weeks now and I don’t think
I have ever had a user login yet! Except one of my friends, who was
actually a bit unhappy, cause he couldn’t find FT8/skimmer/rbn spots.
My dxs runs along BPQ32(BBS, APRS etc), RMS, SM and a com splitter. It’s
been running absolutely flawlessly, however, that is with no users! Only 3
node connections.
Ah, Linux! Well, I used to play with Linux abt 20 yrs ago, when not only
much younger I was, but much more free time I had! For me now, I’ll have
to start from the beginning agn; well, every time, due to the fact that I
use Linux very seldom(ly). Yes, I do agree on the stability and
minimalistic approach of Linux. I have had an Asterisk installation on a Pi
(accompanied by  couple of BBHN installs) for 2 years now. It has never
failed! It has survived numerous power failures. It took me a while to
install it as not only I had to learn the basics of Linux agn, but also the
Asterisk SIP config “language”, extensions, trunking etc! Pretty
mysterious! Not easy when you haven’t got the necessary time. When family
is away for a longer period  I’ll most probably have the time to move dxs
to Linux. Only time will tell.
Mni 73, tnx de J, MØIPU YOЗFCA