[Dxspider-support] Permissions

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Tue Feb 7 14:21:32 GMT 2023

I have a similar problem with a VM based system with severely out of
date Ubuntu (16.04) and my solution was different (and not about the
fact that the distro was so old it wouldn't upgrade, oh no, not at all,
never).

I created a new VM, did the few changes that VMs always need
(users/passwords etc), installed the perl packages and then simply
rsynced the whole of spider tree across. I then (temporarily) changed
the node callsign, ran update_sysop.pl and started it up. And it just
worked. When I'm happy I shall change the node callsign, update the dns,
stop the old node, rsync the few changes (spots,  logs etc) across,
start the new node and the dump the old VM.

People forget that it's pure perl and can run on anything (including
bsd,  Window 95 (please don't), 7 (ditto), 10 or 11 given a decent
version of perl). The only problem is the (as far as I am concerned)
obsolescent C client (for ax25 and other non-IP based connections) - and
that can be solved with a decent C compiler which can be obtained for
free anyway. 99.5% of sysops will never need to use it. A good 75% of
the few people that still do, don't need to. But I cannot (and won't)
diss them because they are mostly long time users that started when we
were all still using ax25. If it works (and AFAIK it still does) don't
"fix" it.

73 de Dirk G1TLH

On 06/02/2023 17:28, Kelly Leavit