[Dxspider-support] 2 more newbie questions

Kin ea3cv at cronux.net
Tue Feb 14 14:00:40 GMT 2023

Hi again,

Regarding the use of passwords, I think it is convenient only for those who
want to send information (spots, ann, ...) to the network. For the rest it
is not necessary.

If you allow sending without clear authentication, it is possible to send
junk to the network, just look at the fight against a few operators who are
spreading junk all over the nodes.

You can look at the DXSpider Wiki for the configuration.

Secondly I can tell you that dxspider is very stable, but personally I like
to have information about controlled or uncontrolled restarts of the
cluster.pl service.

I also monitor my neighbouring nodes and receive regular reports on the
total number of nodes and users, which is not important, but can indicate a
problem.

Having a well defined crontab is essential for dxspider to fully function.
For example, automatically downloading CTY, BadIPs, ...

If you have a dynamic or local IP with dhcp, it is important to have the
associated variables updated.

Kin EA3CV

PS

You can look at this, but it's not official:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/e1kb63ffol4vm77/AADUibqHbP5ta346jmXgmbJ3a?dl=0