[Dxspider-support] Secure node to node connection proposal

Iain Philipps iain.philipps at 77hz.net
Sun Feb 26 13:53:08 GMT 2023

Quoting Ian:

*	First, this is the third time, the THIRD, that I have agreed with Iain about something.  I must be getting old :)

It’s time for a history lesson, folks :)

Back in the mists of time, Dirk had an idea to solve the “AK1A” wars that were going on. The detail is unimportant, but my involvement from “ground zero” was certainly helpful to the cause.

Once the first version was running I set about documenting how to get it going for Windoze users; Ian (who unavoidably agrees with me these days – and I know that frightens him) did 95% of the initial documentation while I provided a few scraps to fill in some blanks.

Forgive us if, having been there from BEFORE the start, we happen to feel that our views are valid and shouldn’t be dismissed so easily. Mikel: You and I have been licensed radio amateurs for the same length of time. In 1987 I also had an Andorra licence (C30DLA) and was QRV from Pic Negre on VHF for the IARU Region 1 Contest (2 x 19el MET Yagi + 2 x 8874 Henry amplifier). I wrote my first lines of code 10 years before that (Algol 68 and then Fortran IV). As far as I am aware, I am also the only person other than Dirk to have actually contributed code to DX Spider.

I urge you to slow down and consider that your way is not the only way, and may not be the right way, either. Unless you do, I fear that this is all going to end very badly.

73 de WR3D