[Dxspider-support] What exactly are the country files used for?

Keith Maton g6nhu at me.com
Mon Jan 2 21:12:03 GMT 2023

This may sound like a really dumb question but it only occurred to me earlier today and this is after running a cluster for years.

What exactly are cty.dat and wpxloc.raw used for in the context of the dxspider?

I know they’re important, it’s a big thing to keep them updated and I have scripts running not only on my node but also on my main logging computer for Fldigi and Aether so that they’re always up to date.  I know why they’re using them.

But why?  How does dxspider use these files?  What are the implications if they’re old?

My dad always told me that if you want to know something, it’s always better to ask than remain quiet.

Thanks.

73 Keith.